The building was not insured and the Church was without resources to rebuild. The congregation met in the Phyllis Wheatley House.
In 1939, under the leadership of Reverend Henderson Reddick, a duplex dwelling was purchased at 819 Fremont Avenue North. It was renovated and the upstairs served as a parsonage; the sanctuary was on the first floor. In 1944, the 819 Fremont property was sold and another similar, but larger building was purchased at 619 Fremont Avenue North. The congregation this time consisted of 54 adults and 26 children. These dedicated members pledged to remain in this building and build a new Church.
On September 12, 1954, Bishop George W. Baber assigned Dr. Martin J. Hendrieth of Detroit, Michigan to Wayman A.M.E. Church. Bishop Baber’s charge to Dr. Hendrieth was “build these people a Church.” Dr. Hendrieth did not realize how great the challenge would be or how long it would take to make the Bishop’s charge to build a reality.
On November 26, 1966, 28 years after the James Avenue fire, the dream became a reality. The new Wayman A.M.E. Church was dedicated to the honor and glory of God. Led by Bishop Joseph Gomez, Presiding Elder Dr. C. Wesley Ellison and Pastor Dr. Marlin J. Hendrieth, a procession of officers, members and well wishers went from 619 Fremont Avenue North to the present site at 1221 7th Avenue North.
Wayman AME History
Wayman A.M.E. Church was organized in 1919 by Presiding Elder Thomas Stoval, who saw the need for an A.M.E. Church for residents of Minneapolis’ north side. It was organized in the home of Mrs. Lucinda Jackson at 6th and Emerson Avenue North with 23 persons present. Several members of St. Peter’s and St. James-St. Paul were in attendance. The Church congregation was incorporated July 23, 1928. The Trustee Board consisted of J.C. Batsell, J.C. Battles, Savallah Keith and William Whitaker. J.C. Batsell was the Secretary.
Wayman A.M.E. Church was named after Bishop Alexander W. Wayman who was consecrated Bishop in 1864 and served on the bench for 31 years. After worshiping in various homes, the congregation moved into its first Church building at 537 James Avenue North. This building was destroyed by fire on November 22, 1938, and once again the congregation was without a House of Worship.
May 20, 2012, we celebrated 93 years. Not only have we grown from 137 members to 300 plus. Under the leadership of Reverend Dr. Alphonse Reff, Sr., the mortgage was retired 1998. We witnessed the only collaborative effort ever undertaken between a religious institution and an educational institution (Wayman and Harvest Preparatory Educational Resources in 1999). We were blessed with newer renovations to the sanctuary and undercroft in 2003, and a new District and Presiding Elder in 2004.
All things are possible if you trust in God and believe in the power of “The Church In Prayer”.